All of that is apparent in the opening paragraph of the Times story Iraqi Army Takes Last Basra Areas From Sadr Force:
Iraqi soldiers took control of the last bastions of the cleric Moktada al-Sadr’s militia in Basra on Saturday, and Iran’s ambassador to Baghdad strongly endorsed the Iraqi government’s monthlong military operation against the fighters.Quite a change. Two weeks ago Times columnist Frank Rich was nattering; "It's Tet, and nobody cares." On April 16th, we were treated to a prominent story about some Iraqi government forces deserting in Basra. Muted fanfare for Iraqi successes is, ah... less prominent.
The rush to
TOC's earlier posts on this topic:
Tuesday, April 08, 2008
Operation Knight's Assault - continuing success
Monday, April 07, 2008
War Theater Critic
Thursday, April 03, 2008
Tuesday, April 01, 2008
I, for one, welcome the New York Times' move away from the fantasy based community.
Update: 7:56PM Mooky threatens "open war." Condi calls him on it.
BAGHDAD — Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice mocked anti-American cleric Muqtada al-Sadr as a coward on Sunday, hours after the radical leader threatened to declare war unless U.S. and Iraqi forces end a military crackdown on his followers.
Rice, in the Iraqi capital to tout security gains and what she calls an emerging political consensus, said al-Sadr is content to issue threats and edicts from the safety of Iran, where he is studying. Al-Sadr heads an unruly militia that was the main target of an Iraqi government assault in the oil-rich city of Basra last month, and his future role as a spoiler is an open question.
"I know he's sitting in Iran," Rice said dismissively, when asked about al-Sadr's latest threat to lift a self-imposed cease-fire with government and U.S. forces. "I guess it's all-out war for anybody but him," Rice said. "I guess that's the message; his followers can go too their deaths and he's in Iran."